Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Just a little update - Nomadfx - reshade mod

If you can't tell from my previous work threads about my sci-fi game & technique post, I'm serious about getting the lighting and look right.  To me, that's a big part of  making a high quality, SERIOUSLY developed game.  I know it seems simple but the difference between:


And


Is night and day.

Now compare those against this:


The difference is in the subtlety of the lighting, the depth and refinement on individual textures and surfaces.

This was done thanks to nomad soul, who configured a reshade lighting mod to game-guru.  Instructions can be found here:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/214343


While it's listed as Triple-A graphics I'll say it really depends on how much tuning you do with your maps.  That said, I'm extremely satisfied with the improvement, despite the framerate loss (I lost about 50%, will need to mess with settings to get that cleaned up).  Also - I discovered in game bloom settings need turned WAY WAY down to correct once you enable this.

Overall it's a new tool for the arsenal and really helps make the scenes pop into a more believable state for something that's an "easy" game maker.

Some more updated shots for the WIP:

 The reactor area.  Will probably scrap a bunch of this or break it out into it's own engineering map.



Anyways it's too blue for my tastes but I like the direction it's taking.  I need to do a lot more work with characters and upcoming levels as well as making sure it's a rewarding and difficult experience.
It's going to be a slog, for sure.

No comments: