Lee recently did a twitch broadcast going over the changes coming in '1.33'. There's a lot of things being added.
Here's a summary of relevant things:
- Individual object specularity :O .. now you can set it on a per-item basis which is a huge boost for maintaining a good looking level while providing 'metallic' entities.
- 5 sounds per dynamic object. This is pretty huge of a boost from 2.
- A shader for skies! Wow.. I think this is going to take some work to figure out but that'll really boost sky visuals.
- Lots of LUA commands, including weapon commands- which opens up upgrade-able weapons and variations in stock weaponry without making a whole new weapon.
- Improved pathfinding for AI (this is a big deal).
- Legacy terrain generator. There was a great RNG terrain maker which was removed.. the new one was trash. The old one has been re added and is brilliant. He even lowered the height (a major issue previously) so the water level is right there. That helps a lot.
Looks good. I'm interested in seeing this finally show up.
You can find the twitch broadcast here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa01SdlKXho