I got some great ideas for 'version 2' which will probably just be an upgrade for existing owners.
Namely as I was explaining to my wife how to achieve a 'wet' look in a game (specifically Black Desert Online) I realized I could probably do the same with my own system.
So now, I've implemented specularity control. It works wonderfully :)
|Note the shine on the texture, giving an appearance of wetness.|
I've also resolved a problem with shadows on highest settings for the decals. It looks vastly better with them disabled.
Lastly I plan on improving the actual decals themselves, which look frankly too chunky for my tastes. The rain is ... ok .. but only because I've already meddled with it.
Lightning is working again!
It needs some cleanup but so far I'm pleased with the results. Timing's good, colors are acceptable (I had to use brightness to avoid interfering with the interpolation engine) and the overall effect is quite good.
Good progress tonight makes Mike a happy man :)
More comparison shots: