Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Addendum to HD Game Guru Post

So there was some contention to my previous statements with respect to improving the visual fidelity of Game-Guru.

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216988

Specifically I was advised directly that what I was saying was a 'waste of time' for people and that simply 'changing texture size and sharpening' wouldn't improve the picture quality.

I tried to explain that the article was meant as a gateway towards people working on their own textures, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears as the same arguments got rehashed.

So I took some pictures, which are in the above thread.  I'm annotating them for this blog as well.





So there you have it.  One thing missing from these shots is the addition of static lighting, which I may use later to highlight the specular map changes. But as they weren't relevant to the conversation, I didn't use them.

I realize I get defensive about this stuff; it's only natural, IMO.  I spend hours or days writing these posts and for it to get called a waste of time by someone I generally respect - is frustrating and aggravating. 

So anyways, at least now you, the reader, have the full picture.  Truth is you could probably further improve these textures if you shot up the values higher but at that point it'd be smarter to break them up a bit more and retexture the model.

No comments: