Search This Blog

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Found these two gems today (Javascript)

So I'm not some uber-JS programmer, let's just get that right out.  I know how to program and Javascript makes sense to me, until you add all those stupid extensions people throw at it like some kind of tacky christmas tree.

For a long time I've wanted to make a pure JS version of my MWDA (Mechwarrior: Dark Age) game for the browser.  However, my limitation was that I didn't understand how to get past the portion of actually outputting beyond using the alerts and stuff built into JS.

Enter the canvas element.  A cursory search today revealed an incredibly simple fix for this conundrum:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Games/Tutorials/2D_Breakout_game_pure_JavaScript

And:

https://www.w3schools.com/graphics/canvas_reference.asp

So the canvas, which is apparently a newish HTML element is one that is specifically made for people trying to do what I'm trying to do. Which makes it perfect for this iteration.   You basically get a blank drawing space.  I feel kind of dumb for not finding this before.  So when I've got time and I don't feel like reading RHEL Clustering Tech manuals, guess what else I'll be thinking about?

No comments: