Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Some examples on Reshade

Per my forum post here:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216552#msg2561654

Some convincing for other members of the community was needed.  So I enabled ReShade's optional 'split screen mode' on one of my sitting in stasis levels and you can see the difference.  On the left is the ReShade enhanced version (only setting changed from default is HDR to 16 from 8).  On the right is GG default.

It's like someone smudged one lens of a pair of glasses, right?

 So I really like the wall textures coming through better.  Some of the freebie stuff I used was fairly low quality to begin with and it's pretty impressive how much better it looks when getting sharpened up by ReShade.


One of my favorite rooms really did a fantastic job of being improved by RS.

Here's an example of a low quality model's bump map improving drastically:
Now if only I could get rid of the lighting artifacts.
And an even more dramatic comparison of a stock asset GG barrel:

Right side is "eh, not bad."  Left side is "Wow, that's pretty decent."

And lastly I bring the final example - 'The EAI potato chip bag'.  So EAI is a fantastic artist; he's made some of the best stuff available in GG and I use it as often as I can find a place for it.

What you'll see is the full picture, then a blowup comparison.  I think you'll get the idea and I can at that point rest my case.
Here's the potato chips as show unfiltered with a raw GG setting:



And here's the chips after:



Let me show you up close what this difference is:
A minor difference, to be sure, but worth it to me.
I'm what you'd call a 'min/maxxer'.  I believe the little things matter.  And these are little things to be sure.  In my eyes though when using an engine as dated as the GG engine that's so underwhelmingly powerful - this is one way to help level the odds.  Your miles may vary.

No comments: