Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Dagored's Sci-Fi Corridors and Halls

I've been meaning to purchase from Dagored for quite a while.  Unfortunately I just couldn't find the item which struck my fancy the most.  I have, however, eyed the Sci-Fi Corridors and Halls pack for a considerable length of time.  I felt I owed Dagored a purchase - a while ago he gave me a custom model that I'm still holding onto - a scientist for a game I've been working on (kept under wraps for now).  

So eventually I gave this thing a real hard look and realized: Hot damn.. this is going to look good with static lighting.

Here's a demo video using stock dynamic lighting:


So I gave it a further look and found it comes with several really excellent pieces, like this animated vent:

The texture is so-so but the rotating fans are very well done.  Overall a good piece.

 A good enemy model (for game guru, this is fairly rare):

The centurion is really well done overall.  I will likely retexture it later to give it a 'more ancient' feel.
So you actually get SEVERAL enemy models.  The other two are less noteworthy (the spider and the drone).  But they are there and frankly with character/enemy models being among the highest individually priced assets on the store, this is a boon.

You also get this HIGHLY detailed shuttle:
Not bad and given you can go inside it has significant utility.
The shuttle is obviously inspired by the Star Trek 'runabout' shuttle.  That said, it's clearly not identical and has it's own variations - enough to stand on it's own two feet.  I am not wild about the bright reds and blues though so I'll probably mute those for my own project.  I like to retexture/color things I buy for personal use and this will be no exception.  I do really like the smooth lines on the cockpit and the interior panels as well.

There's even this slick lift:
The script that comes with it is useful for other projects as well!
I really like how the texturing on the lift is properly aligned.  One major pet peeve for me is when people do not actually align their textures with the shape.  It's part of the reason I won't release any of my own modelling attempts - I have difficulty texturing like this.  Bravo, Dagored :)

So you literally get three enemies, a bomb/mine, a shuttle, a teleporter chamber, a lift and script for the lift... and that's not even counting the actual ROOMS AND CORRIDORS.

The corridors came out extremely well.  I will use some of his stock photos for example's sake but after I get home tonight I will try to add my own photos with some lighting so you can see how well they respond.  One *REALLY* nice surprise is that on 'highest' shader level for the entities I discovered the hallways and rooms have illumination mapping!

The quality on these pieces, despite their simplistic shapes, is extremely high.  I'm very satisfied with my purchase.  One very nice bonus was finding that all of this stuff snaps together exceptionally well.  Normally there's a lot of fitting and wiggling and trying to put this stuff in such a way that it just.. eats up time.  Not to mention Game Guru has a nasty glitch that's been going on for a while where if you are moving an object sometimes it will slide it the entire length of the map.  So grid snap is pretty much a MUST and this whole set it aligned properly.

Please check back on this post later for pictures of some of my own tests/attempts!


Bottom line on this one is it's a steal.  I've used all manner of Sci-Fi kits and while most are fairly good this one makes putting together a decent base or installation a breeze.  Coupled with the bonus goodies and it's a no brainer.




No comments: