Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2016

Semi-regular (ok not really) update

So I've been busy with a number of projects recently.
But unfortunately real life has sucked up a ton of my time.  That said there's some news here.

First dealt with a Cygwin issue.  I use Cygwin at work with the metacity gnome desktop for x-windows.  I do this so I don't have to run a virtual machine and can interface as cleanly as possible with my required windows apps while having minimal overhead. 

So this week we had an issue where a recent update nuked my cygwin instance.  After much gnashing of teeth I had the Trendmicro admin add my c:\cygwin64 and cygwin64\bin folders to the exclusions list.  I then reinstalled cygwin.  I then ran into several weird issues.  The primary one was needing to reinstall pulse audio due to an error with the device not functioning and the dll not being found (found via .xsession-errors file).  The second was I wasn't using the right repo (local repos don't completely archive all possible components).  The third was a complete piece by piece reinstall of gnome.  That seemed to do the trick.

Next up I contacted Lee @ The Game Creators (makers of Game-Guru) about lighting.  I learned some interesting things which greatly impact how the lighting will be used going forward.  I plan on doing a detailed fourth part to my lighting tutorial based on what I've found.  I also played around with reshade to maximize FPS and produce the best graphics possible from Game-Guru (at this time).  The results were nothing short of shocking.  That will also go into that fourth update.

I learned some new tricks with game-guru in respect to level design and also renewed my interest in my sci-fi work in progress (as yet unnamed).  More resources were gathered.  I plan on revamping some textures and then reintroducing them as HD components.

I've also got my first review where I'm genuinely disappointed in what I've purchased.  It's unfortunate because I had such high hopes for it.  I promise not to beat on them too hard, I just have a case of buyers remorse :)

All in all things are moving along albeit slowly.  Stay tuned!

No comments: